Tuesday, September 9, 2008

September 11 & such

So, I have used the week before 9/11 to talk to all my students about the events of that day & create artwork for firefighters and policemen coming to our school to visit. I was pretty shocked by how many of the students didn't know anything about September 11. At times I was becoming very angry with the parents on why they didn't share the importance of this day with the next generation. It was difficult to talk about it and not get chocked up myself. On 9/11 I was 1,000 miles away and in a way I thought that I had distanced myself from the wreckage in NYC. While talking to kids about it, I thought to myself, 'why would I talk to my proverbial kids about one of the worst days in American history?' It could ruin their sense of security & peace in America. So, alas, I was at a draw. I understand why the children don't know about it, but I also understand how important it is that they know how September 11 shaped and formed our lives.

What should we do... I'll let you decide.

Take care,
Hannah

2 comments:

Jessica Townsend said...

yeah. that is tricky. i would say, you gotta let the kids know the truth. i grew up in a family where bad news wasn't often delivered, at least, not to me b/c I was "too young" & this is still an on-going issue.
i believe even if the truth hurts...it is beneficial for them to know it.

rescueadog said...

Interesting...I say talk about it. They are the future of this country. Don't share the gory details, but it's important that know. I think as American's we become so self-centered as a nation and we don't think of ourselves within the global scope of things. They need to know so as a future generation they can work to create global peace. I'm glad you shared this experience. It's interesting to think about!